Friday, September 24, 2010

The day of forgiveness

Every culture and every religion has given us innumerable reasons to celebrate and make merry. The list is not just limited to the festivals but also includes those special days like father's day, mother's day and world smile day which are majorly dedicated to a person, a group of persons in your life or merely a reason. I don't know how it is in other countries, but I have seen Indians celebrating almost every such day in a big fashion. Greeting cards are sold in abundance. It gives me immense pleasure when I see everybody accepting every other person's culture and making a move towards making it a part of their own lifestyle. Valentines day (infact the entire week) is celebrated with great zeal and passion. Though valentines day has been derived from the western culture, the Indians, during that time, paint the whole town red; the colour of love fills up every nook and corner. This year, I got a lot of SMSs  and emails on women's day. They made me feel special even though I belong to a country where Sati and female infanticide was most prevalent. 

Did you know, today, every member of the Jain community is celebrating what is known as the Kshamavani Diwas. On this day, all the Jains approach every other individual and ask for Kshama or forgiveness. They beg pardon of their mistakes and faults which were committed by them knowingly or unknowingly. They confess and ask for forgiveness. It is a day when Jains keep nothing against anybody and forgive every other individual for their mistakes. They say, forgiveness is the ultimate road to salvation. Those who forgive are the strongest people on this earth. It is very easy to get angry and shout at others but it takes a real strong heart to forgive. It is not easy to forget what happened in the past and start afresh. We, human beings, are very emotional. We do not forget the wrong-doings of others. Imagine yourself waking up one morning and forgiving every person who has ever hurt you, intentionally or unintentionally. Doesn't happen, isn't it? You'd think about it a hundred times before approaching those people and apologizing. 

Forgiveness is the greatest act of kindness. A person can be kind only if they have carry no negative thoughts in their mind. Would you be kind to a person whom you do not like? I don't think it is possible. To take out all kinds of negative thoughts, you need to control your anger. Negative thoughts give birth to anger. Anger can be discarded only if you have a clear mind, a mind that thinks about more than just revenge. And revenge can be altered only if you forgive. So, basically it is the anger which needs to be thrown out of our lives. 

I read somewhere, "A forgiver sleeps soundly and peacefully; but the night of an unforgiving person passes in mental tension and uneasiness. It seems as if his bed was strewn with thorns." If you ask me, I totally agree. Look into your own lives. Try to recall a day when you were angry at someone. Do you remember getting those wrinkles on your forehead, that frown which made you feel miserable. Restless sleep and uneasiness took the better of you. Didn't you spend time thinking about the whole issue? Maybe you even felt suicidal. Now imagine how your day would have passed, had you forgiven that person. Sweet, isn't it? That is the point I want to make. 

I am not sure whether you have ever heard of Kshamavani Diwas. I don't know if such a day is celebrated in other parts of the world or not. Every year I apologize and ask for forgiveness from all the Jains that I know of. When I was a kid, I used to get embarrassed. When I grew up, I realised that there was nothing to be embarrassed. It is a good deed and I must do it with a pure heart. And this year, I thought I would be doing a greater deed if I share it with the rest of the world. 

With folded hands, I apologize for all my mistakes. I am sorry if I had ever hurt you in any way. I beg for forgiveness. 


9 comments:

Sakshi said...

Yup, I have heard of this. My BFF is a Jain. And as a matter of fact, I think this is a great great festival to celebrate, because, forgiveness is truly something that should be inculcated in all of us.
A great asset to have.

So, here is asking for forgiveness!

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

Forgiveness does not make us small, but proves that we have a bigger heart.

Good to hear that there is a day like this, but just one day?

Siddhesh 'Ravan' Kabe said...

Ok... must note it down as a day to meet my ex-gf... lets hope she forgives me.

Renu said...

This is a great festival.I know how difficult it is to forgive someone..and blessed are those who can.

Shalini said...

Not heard of it before but it a very nice festival. This is what I love about festivals...the deeper meanings.

Nice post. :)

supriya said...

well my mother was a jain before marriage...and we still celebrates this day with her..!! you are right..you feel so calm and relaxed after forgiving someone..!! its always a better option NOT to keep grudges..i wish people could understand it... :)

Nipun said...

Forgiveness granted.
May i apologize here too?

Sorry for anything..:P

Cheers

Nuts

Chandrika Shubham said...

I hope my comment is saved.

Chandrika Shubham said...

I have to write again.

Its human nature to remember bad doings and to forget good deeds of a person.

I apologise here to all my blogger friends if by mistake I hurt somebody's feelings please forgive me.

3X7 is interesting! :)