Saturday, July 3, 2010

My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes

I saw this tag on TBG's blog. And thought of taking it up even though I wasn't tagged.




If you are a woman,
Have you ever wanted something that is considered ‘manly’ ? Like a basketball, a cell phone, a dog, a camera or a new laptop? A new car or motor bike? Ever wanted to be a pilot? A doctor or not a nurse? And the manliest want of them all – The remote! ;)
As a kid did you enjoy playing with a bat and a ball?
There was a time when books were considered ‘manly’, women authors had to pretend to be men – would you say books are still rather manly – women should want to embroider and crochet?
If you are a man,
Have you ever wanted something that only women are supposed to want – like bags, shoes, clothes, creams, perfumes, babies, flowers? A peaceful home and a happy family? Have you ever been afraid of the dark or of insects?
As a kid did you ever want to play ‘teacher-teacher’, cooking or did you like playing with a doll? Have you ever enjoyed cooking? Bought something in pink? Loved chocolates?



I am supposed to mention 10 things that I have ever wanted which shouldn't really be a trait of a woman.


So here it goes.


1) I hate pink. I am not one those girls who goes like, "awwwwww pink" on seeing anything of that colour be it a dress, lip colour, earings, bags, colour of the walls or even a pen. I like hues of blue, green and (I warn u, don't be shocked) grey. I love grey. I still don't understand how people wear pink (this one is for guys too). Actually, to tell you the truth, I cannot stand baby pink. Anything in that colour is despised by me and I own absolutely nothing in this colour. If at all I have anything in pink then it is in a dark fuschia pink, which is more like it. But I would still prefer grey to pink. Eagerly.


2) I like playing the man's role when I am out with a guy. I am the one who is more than keen to order a drink and sit at the bar (okay, sometimes it isn't comfortable so I just let it skip). I don't mind paying if it is a date. Infact, I wouldn't agree if the guy pays. It feels great when you take a guy out for lunch rather than he taking you out. And I love buying gifts for guys even thought there aren't many options available.


3) I hate cooking. This is something which I just don't wan't to learn. I know that once I get married, it will be needed for sure but for now, lets not talk about it. 


4) Cars and speed go hand in hand when it comes to me. If I come across a handsome dude driving one of the best cars around, my eyes tend to miss his handsomeness. I would rather look at the car, the guy definitely comes in later when my mind starts calculating what would it take to get to that car. And you know what, I love speeding. Whenever I get on a nice wide road, my excitement shows on the accelerator. I don't drive like the other women drivers who hold on to the steering wheel with both their hands and raise their head a little in order to see the road ahead. I don't do that. I love driving with one arm resting on the window and the other one on the steering wheel. And And And. I love driving with loud music playing in my car. 


5) I generally don't spend time staring at my wardrobe and deciding what to wear and what not to wear. I just pick up whatever is on the top and I am done. I don't spend hours introspecting and contemplating what would look good on me. I just need 5 mins after my shower and I am done. Ready to hop out.


6) I love to hear guys talk. Atleast they don't talk about earings and purses and sandals and nail paints. Frankly, I have very little to contribute when a group of girls talk about their clothes. I am more interested in whats going on with the computer, the mobile phones, the cars and gadgets in general. 


7) I just cannot remember who wore what in what party and when was it repeated and what people had to say about it. Gah..!! I hate that. I, fucking, cannot remember anybody's clothes and their designs and colours. I am half concerned about that. I don't care if some girl made some weird hairstyle and turned up yet again with the same funny looking thing on her head. I am so not concerned. 


8) I don't talk like girls. Forget about the content, even my way of talking resembles the way guys talk. I generally don't beat around the bush trying to explain one simple thing. I say it and its done. No thinking about it. I'll give you an example which once I discussed with two other friends of mine (one was a guy and the other one was a girl, just for name sake). We were talking about how both the genders talk when it comes to disclosing the details about their relationship. For instance, a guy if he is talking about sex, then he would talk about sex and nothing else. He would concentrate on everything related to his experience. On the contrary, a girl would give in details which are so not relevant. It doesn't really matter what she lip gloss she wore and what colour were her nails painted when she had sex. She'll talk about everything else except the topic. Grrr..!! That really gets on my nerves.


9) I am not a neatness freak. The only thing I need is a clean bathroom and a neat bed. I can go without dusting my room. And I wouldn't mind if I have a pile of clothes ready for laundry. 


10) You'll always find me wearing loose fitting clothes. I love wearing kurtas but I generally team them up with a pair of jeans. I simply cannot handle the churidars and the dupatta. It is now that I have learned how to wear a churidar properly and I still goof up specially in those party wear suits. I wish I could just wear simple trousers/jeans and kurta everywhere. 


Now I am supposed to tag 12 people


1) Nipun
2) Renu
3) Atul
4) Supriya
5) Atul
6) Sepo
7) Vandy
8) Mehak
9) Sakshi
10)Rashmi
11)Chitz
12)Shivani


And if you like this tag and you haven't been tagged, feel free to take it up just like i did.. :)



9 comments:

The Bald Guy said...

Thanks for doing this Chanz.

Atul said...

i am so happy about ze Zerman win over Argies that i am going to take this Tag and run for the Goal! ... while at this moment i can't commit any time or date... rest assured Atul will be back! :-D

Neha said...

I hate pink and cooking too!
I love listening to guys talking...

Nice tag says so much about you :)

I wonder how guys will write this tag :P

supriya said...

What a tag chanz...my fav till date..!! but you know what...except 2 points ..I have the same answers as you do..I hope you believe me...bcoz thats the truth..
Now just gonna answer your tag.. :)

Shalini said...

I totally loved doing this tag!! Its fun!!
And haha...couldnt agree more with you

Tavish Chadha(sensible-bakwas.com) said...

hehe that was a nice read... so u dont mind paying on a date haan? Can i take u out on a date next weekend? lolz...

Punia said...

lolzzzzzz...............u forget 2 mention abt drinkin !!
:-P

Nipun said...

Wowoowowow!!

Awesome answers..:)
Felt like a woman for a short while after reading ur answers..
Is it all so manly things..:)

Cheers

Nuts

Mehak said...

haha, awesome! we have a lot in common, just like u had said on my post. :)