Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fear of the unknown

While I was reading the newspaper this morning, I came across an article in supplement section Shine weekly of Hindustan Times. Grab a copy to read it.

Heard about The Flying Wallendas?

Wallenda Factor refers to the fear of falling or failing. Well actually, this term is more often used for Karl Wallenda who fell to his death in 1978 while traversing a 75 foot high wire stretched over 37 meters hung between two towers in Puerto Rico. The Wallenda family is famous for carrying out death-defying stunts without a safety net.


They say, Karl Wallenda died because of the speed of wind that exceeded 48 kilometers per hour. However, his wife gave a different reason. Fear. She stated that Karl had personally supervised the installation of the tightrope, something which he had never done before. Three months prior to this, he had feared falling. And this was the reason why he fell.

Remember, I had written a post sometime back about The Law of Attraction. Though I had despised the fact and that is my personal view but for those who entirely believe in it, I think this example of Karl Wallenda is quite apt. If I have to explain it in very simple words then, Wallenda feared a fall and hence he attracted that thought towards him. Therefore he was destined to fall.

The same thing happens with us. When we think about our fears day in and day out, we are actually attracting that thought towards us. Eventually, that thought becomes a part of our system and hence becomes our fate.

When an individual gets fame and power, he fears that he will lose it one day. And it happens with everything that you own. As you grow, you develop a fear of losing what you already have. So you tend to become manipulative towards it. You take calculative steps because, somewhere deep inside, you have a fear that if you take one wrong step, you will lose everything. When Karl Wallenda had nothing to lose, he gave his best shots. He belived in himself. He knew that he was good. He knew that he would achieve the unachievable. However, when we gained recognition, he feared losing it. He was now scared of something which he never was. Falling.

This fear of the unknown, sometimes, can be fatal. Just like it was in the case of Wallenda.

27 comments:

Jon said...

I dont think fear can be a factor at all for falling from fame and power...

I recommend you read the comics...Asterix and the Normans...

In the case of rich and powerful rashness would be cause for the fall.. Rashness is due to lack of fear:)

Chanz said...

@ Jon : There is something called over confidence, thats what you are talking about.

But sometimes, fear can be reason too..

When fear comes into play, you lose your confidence. As I said in the post, Wallendas checkd the tightrope himself. Maybe this stunt was big for him. Maybe there wouldhave been heavy media coverage. maybe he had thought "What if something something goes wrong".. These two words, "What if" create a sense of fear..

In other words, Uncertainity leads to fear.. and fear can be fatal

Punia said...

dnt u think Caddy,ur post r more inclined 2wards serious issues dese days.....Hw abt a romantic comedy :-P

Shivani said...

I fear dark and I am dang scared of supernatural and ghosts. And while in driving in the hills of Shimla a few days before, a friend told me they say that ghosts live in hilly areas. It kinda reminded me of my fears.. and I desperately tried to dismiss those thoughts out of my mind because somewhere I thought maybe, thinking of ghosts, I'm inviting them... Yes.. In this context, any negative energy attracts negative energy.
But otherwise, its all about destiny - which is pre-written and which is the cause of somebody's falling or failing.
Don't know.. its all to complex to be written in words.

Chanz said...

@ Punia : Hehehe.. DOnt worry.. I will soon do that..

Chanz said...

@ Shivani : Well these are simply theories.. we believe in those that suit our perception..

Btw, even I am scared of ghosts and superatural powers.. It freaks me out. Really.. And because I am so scared, I dont watch any ghost movies because I think I will invite bad dreams which happens everytime I indulge in this..

Atul said...

... i agree with that observation of urs that our fears can pull us down... especially at the moments when u don't want to fail... i have my own (lengthy) views on this... that i formed after reading (pointless?) other theories... but then i want to vote for Punia's comment :P

Chanz said...

@atul : lol.. But i would like to know your views on this topic.. Atleast wen we r already talking abt fear

oRange* said...

Makes sense!
And moreover when you fear something, you in a way tend to attract it

Amrit said...

Secret Works :)

http://searchinglife.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/secret-works/

Saurabh Panshikar said...

Moral of the story: The wife always has a theory of her own!

Frankly speaking, I don't think therez a single person who can be termed fearless these days. You can only be fearless if you got nothing to lose and that is almost impossible now...

I guess fear coerces man to follow discipline. We do so many thing out of fear that we would rather not have, if there were no consequences.

I don know if this comment is in line with the post, but I'll not fear from posting it anyways!

Coz Darr ke Aage......... Jeet Hai!

Chanz said...

@ Orange : yeah.. it does...

Chanz said...

@ Amrit : yes... is dat your blog amrit..??

Chanz said...

@ Saurabh : Maybe.. maybe not.. but yes, darr ke aage definitely jeet hai... so Karl wallendas should have followed it..

vandy said...

well said,,,,we let fears rule our life bt it shuldn't be

buckingfastard said...

yay!! being out a bit!! bak 2 ur blog after long!!

see dats why im not bothered abt savings..i spent money bindaas!! but porblem is den also i end up wid empty bank accnts....wierd huh!!

Nipun said...

Fear invites accidents that are sometimes not intended to occur.
I agree with this.
Its been long since I visited ur page.

Cheers

Nuts

Chanz said...

@ Vandy : :)

Chanz said...

@ BF : When can i except an expensive gift from u, since u dont like to save.. Ok, give me a date when your account is at its peak.. I promise u n i will be best friends for one full day.. :P

Chanz said...

@ Nipun : YEah.. it does.. I saw that u havent been visiting since long.. at kept u busy..

Hope u will be reading the posts that u missed.. :)

supriya said...

quite logical....!! i totally agree with you...!!

chitz said...

its true..smtimes we r the ones who turn our worst fears in2 our destiny...

Nipun said...

I was on Holi vacations..:)
it was a blast.
Will surely read the other posts..
U just keep writing..

Chanz said...

@ Supriya : I know... Just linked the news with something I already knew and have read abt it..

Chanz said...

@ Chitz : Right.. We as individuals still do not know how to avoid this.. We do not have that self control of not thinking the negative aspects of everything..

Boobesh said...

Very interesting thought.. different perspective from what i had.. Being fear or cautious was to not attract the -ves but after reading this post it feel like fear is the reason for -ve happening.

Chanz said...

Absolutely boobesh..

Welcome to my blog..