Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dilwalo ki dilli

Okay..!! So, yesterday, I finally got to see the IPL match in Delhi. Mumbai Indians vs. Delhi Daredevils. And it was such a dissapointment. Gah..!! Obviously, I was supporting Delhi and so were the 50,000 people present at the Firoz Shah Kotla cricket ground. It was a sight to watch. The stadium was jam-packed. The crowd roared for Delhi's victory. But the daredevils, as they are called, failed to keep up with the expectations of all those who were there hailing for the team which belonged to the capital of India.

I am not really a cricket fan. Well, I was at one point of time. But the Indian Premier League (and the T20) could not keep the spirit of cricket alive in me. I somehow did not like the concept. Infact, you would be surprised to know that I showed absolutely no interest in the first two seasons of IPL and here I am planning to attend all the matches of IPL season 3 (ofcourse which are to be played in delhi).

Yes, I have suddenly developed an interest in cricket. I keep questioning my younger brother for he is a big fan of cricket and has all the figures and stats on his tips.

So, I was telling you about yesterday's match. You know what, I was quite surprised that all the people there were cheering for Sachin Tendulkar even when he was from the Mumbai team. I mean seriously guy. I had assumed that everybody would cheer for delhi and wish for the delhi players to win. On the contrary, it was Sachin who got the cheers. He came, smashed a few boundaries and the crowd roared for more. And his hits became bigger. Thats what I like about this man. He goes with the crowd. He makes his fans happy. No wonder he has become legendary. The dilliwalas cheered for Sehwag as well. But it was definitely not as loud as it was for Tendulkar himself.

I sat with a sulking face when the people around me shouted for him. I really wanted delhi to win. Tendulkar or no Tendulkar. Its delhi, for Christ's sake. You are actually boosting the morale of the opponents by cheering for them. But as they say, yeh dilli hai mere yaar, bas ishq mohabbat pyaar. So, we had to make the mumbaikars feel at home.

30 comments:

Atul said...

Chanz very good observation... we the people of the capital of this nation know how to welcome our guests...

Nipun said...

I agree with u chanz!!
This is what the reality is.
The nation loves Sir Sachin..:)
I know its hard to digest these things but Sachin itself is a delight to watch. Who cares about winning or losing.
"Sach is Life"

Kudos to the spirit of the capital.
Delhi Belly continues..:P

Cheers

Nuts

p.s. Jealous of u...:-X

buckingfastard said...

well its not cricket nymore...its entertainment!!!

u can sulk fr all three hours or u can njoy every moment thinking...after all we both belong to same country :P ...its more paisa vasool

btw learn abt cheerin opponents frm we KKR supporters...we hav no oder options u see!!

Siddhesh 'Ravan' Kabe said...

ok ok shant baccha shant...:P i can never understand cricket...:P

Readers Dais said...

Hi! Chanz,

When sachin is the god of cricket, and when indians treat guests as god,what else should we expect form the delhi crowd but the cheer and cheer alone,
so inspite of ur sulk...keep ur guest happy...dilli hai na,pyaar karo sabko...

Amrit said...

DD lost :(

They have to win this season.

Shivani said...

Lol..
I can actually imagine you disappointed. Abe I tell you Sachin is the bhagwaan of cricket. And its about India man.. Ki farak penda hai.. Delhi ho ya Mumbai... Jeete to Indians hi na..

Chanz said...

@ Atul : absolutely..!! thats the reason why I love delhi...

Chanz said...

@ nipun : R u jealous.. ?? But I still dont see u going green with envy.. Ok, listen to this:
I plan to go and see the next few matches too (not today's though)..

Do i see Green..??

Chanz said...

@ BF : Long time man.. Where have u been..??

Chanz said...

@ Sid : Aaahh.. Atleast I am better.. :D

Chanz said...

@ Readers Dais : LOL.. Trying to do that only.. Otherwise I would have thrashed all those mumbai players..

Chanz said...

@ Amrit : I know... They have to win for sure.. And one lost match will definitely not stir our spirits..

Chanz said...

@ Shivani : nahi na.. I want delhi to win.. After all, I am supporting this time.. :D

Renu said...

delhi waalo ne dikha diya ki woh is desh ke ha..kisi praant ke nahi:)..they are true Indians.

sepo said...

cheers to the spirit of dilliwalas...!

vandy said...

cool

so u saw malinga???????

Nipun said...

M going green this time..:-X
More matches...:(
Catch u in the coming games in the stadium itself..:)

Cheers

Nuts

p.s. I watch the matches in my dreams.

M@ria said...

Yea, i was soooo disappointed with Dilli's performance man! sad!
But Sachin is Sachin, he makes everybody look like chillar in front of him. And one cannot help cheer for him. Thats the thing about performance and being good in your field...u shine wherever you are and people will recognize it!
And aren't we proud, we Delhites don't bicker about North Indian and Mumbaikar debate! We welcome everybody. Time to learn from our spirit!

Garima said...

I dont like the concept of IPL... I fail to connect with the Game as it has always been associated with INDIA...and when you have all your fav players scatter in all the teams you dont know which one to cheer for.... and I would have done the same... Sachin IS the God of Cricket... if I watch the Game..rather if I started watching the game it was only for Sachin....
you dont know how J I am aftr reading this :(

Chanz said...

@ Renu : Hehehe... Yeah... :)

Chanz said...

@ Sepo : cheers..

@ Vandy : Hahaha.. Ofcourse I did.. N ma brother is crazy about him.. I fail to understand why..

Chanz said...

@ Nipun : Lol.. Main aayungi tujhe darane ke liye.. :P

Chanz said...

@ Maria : U know what.. Pehle, i was like wtf.. Why is everybody cheering for Sachin.. And then when the cheering got loud, I too joined in.. Trust me, i dint know whom to cheer for.. AFter all they are all from India..

Chanz said...

@ Garima : Did u..?? Really...?? Then I will make u even more J just like I did to Nipun.. Heeee...
Well, I too used to think inthe similar fashion. Thats the reason why I didnt follow the prev 2 seasons.. But now I go to have fun.. :P

Sorcerer said...

eat Cricket..Sleep Cricket..and I hope my team will win a match soon

*sigh

Chanz said...

Sorcy, which is your team..

okay lemme guess... Hyderabad..??

Lincoln said...

God is worshipped everywhere , no matter where and how he is playing with ;),,,,

chitz said...

he he..i m wid sachin chanz..:)

Kedar said...

Yaar... Sachin is God.. phir delhi ho ya chennai, when Sachin is playing, all that matters is that "he is playing"...
and speaking about the match, i am an MI supporter... so i'm pretty happy that DD lost... (hope u don't mind me commenting this on the blog of a DD fan...) :D